2022 Association Industry Outlook Exceeds Pre-COVID Levels of Optimism
Washington, D.C. — Last month, McKinley Advisors, an association consulting firm, published their 2022 Association Viewpoint study, An Age of Acceleration. McKinley Advisors has released this study annually since 2008 to help the association sector understand and anticipate market trends.
This year’s data reveals that there is an optimistic outlook among association leaders that is fueling a transformation of the ways associations do business, and the areas of concern that impacted association leaders in 2021 have decreased significantly. The report highlights workforce issues, digital transformation, expansion of programs, the return to office and impact investing.
“Associations face a decision to embrace change or resume business as usual. Those who embrace change are reimagining their business models and ensuring that their strategy aligns with their operations to move past implementation barriers and reach new possibilities. This moment — an age of acceleration — requires thoughtful and intentional action from association leaders,” said Jay Younger, McKinley Advisors President and CEO.
Key findings from the report include:
- 2022 marked the highest year of optimism (84%) for associations in the past six years of this study.
- Generating non-dues revenue and diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) continue to be top priorities for associations for the second year in a row.
- There is an expected expansion of association programs, services and staff in 2022.
- Less than a quarter of associations diversified their revenue streams during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Conferences and meetings and communications strategy are the top areas in which associations require innovation
About McKinley Advisors
McKinley Advisors is an award-winning association consulting firm dedicated to accelerating associations’ positive impact on the world. McKinley works in partnership with association executives and volunteer leaders to identify and address their most significant challenges and opportunities. McKinley provides services through four practice areas—Strategy and Innovation, Organizational Excellence, Business Transformation, and Research and Insights.
Learn more about McKinley Advisors at www.mckinley-advisors.com.
Association Forum is pleased to announce that the call for nominations for members of the...
Bostrom has today announced a transition to a new Executive Leadership Team (ELT) that will...