4 Personality Types to Watch Out for on Your Board
- Dominator – These people speak loudly, at length and often. They can overpower less outspoken members of the board and railroad conversation.
- Ghost – This type of person is absent, missing meetings or disregarding emails, leveraging their influence by holding up decisions.
- Interrogator – People who ask questions simply to sow doubt or derail discussions can be a drag on your board’s time and muddy the group’s clarity.
- Victim – Everyone comes up short once in a while, but this type of person may find a reason to explain their lack of engagement or follow-through in almost all situations.
Adapted from “The 4 Types of Power Players: How They Disrupt Boards and What To Do About Them,” by Donald Summers
Plan for the Future
Boards that focus on strategic planning at least 25% of the time and operate under a strategic plan have better results. Instead of getting bogged down with day-to-day operational details, they trust staff and team members to perform their duties.
Source: “Effective Governance Practices for Current and Future Success,” ASAE
Still Work to Do on Nonprofit Diversity
While inclusion efforts are becoming standard essentials for many organizations, some nonprofit boards are aware that they still have work to do in creating a diverse environment.
- 61% of nonprofit boards of directors do not feel their makeup reflects the communities they serve.
- About 70% of nonprofit board positions are held by white members.
- Only 11% of nonprofit boards have a written statement or policy on diversity and inclusion.
Source: “The Governance Gap: Examining Diversity and Equity on Nonprofit Boards of Directors,” by Molly Delano Brennan with Miecha Ranea Forbes, January 2019
Becoming a Fit-for-Purpose Association Director
Thought leader Jeff De Cagna thinks through the weight of becoming and association director and...
Valuing a Welcoming Environment Leads to More Open DEI Dialogue in the Boardroom
Association boards have a lot of responsibility--so how do we ensure they work DEI into...
Leading At Every Level
We speak with Dr. Simone Ahuja on how intrapreneurs will help you build the association...